Category: Lotus Elan
I purchased my Elan because I wanted to restore a car. Why did I pick a Lotus and why did I pick an Elan Coupe’? I really don’t remember how I decided. At some point, I wanted an Elan and the Pre-Airflow Coupe’ was the only one I wanted. I found the car via an internet search. A few phone calls and a drive down to Berkely and I had a car. Several years later I finally drove it.
Ownership HistoryChassis 36/5890 was delivered from the factory on August 8, 1966, to a Michel A. Marx. The car was transferred to Gil Denney (date unknown) On March 10, 2001, transferred to me, Jim Boone
Damage, Repair and Colors I’m not exactly sure of the order of events. I do know which colors came when and the sequence of the damage, although I am not sure if the driver’s door was damaged a second time or if it was never repaired after the second accident. It seems likely it was repaired at the time the car was repainted the second time and damaged again after that.
The original color was British Racing Green.
Torque rods pulled through chassis. A new piece of metal was welded in place to repair. The workmanship was OK.
Differential ring gear was changed to 3.7:1. Original springs were changed to “Sprint” spec.
At least that is what the sticker on the spring said.
Stock fan was removed and an electric fan was installed using wire nuts.
Fire in the engine compartment which burned through the right inner fender damaging the outer fender. Flames also traveled through the air cleaner and scorched under the nose.
Damage to the nose, right front fender top, and right rear fender.
Repainted a lighter shade of green with the sills painted black. This may have been the result of the fire damage.
Severe damage to the left rear corner left, the left driver’s door, and nose. Poorly repaired with a heavy cross textured fiberglass. Repainted with very dark green.
The driver’s door damaged again. Repair to driver’s door was thick fiberglass and 1/4″-1/2″ of body putty.
Window glass replaced with Plexiglas.
Wiring harness hacked and repaired with various bits of brown wire.
A complete restoration was begun on May 5, 2001.
Restoration goals Stock Lotus Elan. Street driven with upgrades for reliability. Finish the development work Lotus didn’t finish Restoration was completed on April 7, 2004
I’ve found the world’s most frustrating task. I’ve been trying to install the brake lines. The bending of the lines is fun. The flaring is…
New Chassis Arrived
The chassis finally arrived and is in the garage. I’ll post details on the differences between the Lotus Chassis and the TTR chassis as soon…
After much deliberation I’ve ordered a new chassis from TonyThompson Racing. The current chassis has several cracks and twists. Over the last 25 years the…
Sanding and Sanding
I’ve been spending lots of time sanding away the three coats of paint. Underneath each coat is a little more body damage. Some of the…
Removed the body from the chassis. Very interesting. I now know how to remove the body with 50 feet of rope, an engine hoist, 22×4…
Preparing the body to be removed from the frame. The wiring is a nightmare. Why this car a) ran or b) did not burn to…
Built a stand to hold the body. I’ll have some measurementsReal-Soon-NowTM
Just finished taking the engine out. There was oil coming from every possible place on the engine so this was a messy job. Found lots of…
Took a few picture of the car before starting the disassemble. Removed the radiator with electric fan. The wiring for the fan was done with…